Hail to the chief
Like many, I used to be delighted to be taught of Commander Jennifer Michaux’s historic promotion to police chief of St. Augustine Police Department.
It was disappointing that The Record selected to place this announcement on web page 11A, bypassing the entrance web page. For a metropolis obsessive about historical past, it’s a contradiction.
In its place was extra excellent news about Flagler College’s basketball team that will have been extra applicable on the sports activities web page, on condition that the primary feminine chief of police was simply introduced within the oldest metropolis within the nation throughout Women’s History Month, no much less.
Stop the violence
No different developed nation on the planet has anyplace close to the speed of gun violence because the United States. This state of affairs exists primarily as a result of the U.S. has by far the best quantity of privately-owned guns on the planet, and our elected officers who obtain giant political donations from the gun foyer haven’t enacted efficient gun control laws. Consequently, tens of hundreds of U. S. residents are killed yearly by guns.
Everyone of us ought to write to our elected representatives (each federal and state) and inform them to not settle for any donations from gun lobbyists, and to take quick motion to introduce and assist legal guidelines that:
- Raise the minimal age for the acquisition of guns;
- Require background checks for all gun gross sales;
- Require gun homeowners to maintain their firearms in a locked secure, cupboard or case, or use different instruments resembling set off locks to soundly safe their weapons;
- Ban automated and semi-automatic rifles, and confiscate these weapons by a compulsory buyback program;
- Establish a registry of all guns owned within the nation; and
- Require a allow for all firearm purchases.
Unless such legal guidelines are totally carried out, the mindless slaughter of our residents will proceed.